What back pain is talking about
Complaints of discomfort in the lower back periodically appear in almost every person. Unpleasant sensations can torment for years or occur from time to time. Do not ignore such body signals. Pain in the lower back does not appear by chance, it necessarily has its own reasons. Sometimes completely banal and easily removable. And in some cases – very difficult and serious.
What back pain is talking about
Discomfort in the lower back can be sharp, sudden in nature. Such pains usually constrain movements and do not allow to straighten the back. People say “lumbago” about them. Sometimes unpleasant sensations in the lower back are mild. They can be pulling in nature. In this case, the discomfort gradually increases and practically does not disappear. Of course, these feelings are based on completely different reasons.
If we analyze what lower back pains most often torment people, then the statistics will look like this:
90% – discomfort caused by pathologies of the spine or back muscles;
6% – negative sensations due to kidney disease;
4% are based on other causes of lumbar pain (diseases of the intestines, genitourinary system).
Most back pain is associated with back muscle problems.
Determining the source of the problem yourself is not easy. And sometimes without a thorough diagnosis it is even impossible. Therefore, it is recommended that people with lower back pain regularly visit a doctor and establish the exact cause of the recurring discomfort.
Causes of Lumbar Pain
Discomfort in the back can be accompanied by certain symptoms. Sometimes the overall clinical picture can tell the true source of the problem. So, for example, if the pain is combined with hyperthermia, then we are talking about an inflammatory process that requires immediate intervention by doctors.
Pathology of the musculoskeletal system
Most often, discomfort in the lower back is caused by pathology of the musculoskeletal system (OA).
Hypodynamia, malnutrition, excessive stress can trigger the development of a pain attack. In childhood, pathology is caused by incorrect posture, weight bearing, congenital anomalies.
The most common diseases and conditions are:
1. Scoliosis. Spinal curvature (acquired or congenital) may not bother the patient for a long time. The pain is usually aching in nature. Without proper treatment, discomfort gradually builds up.
Due to hard physical exertion, the lower back can hurt.
2. Osteochondrosis. Degenerative-dystrophic pathology, in which the cartilaginous surfaces of the vertebrae are destroyed. The disease is characterized by periodic pinching of the nerves. It is manifested by acute pain attacks (“backache”). Further progression of osteochondrosis can lead to protrusion (protrusion) of the intervertebral discs, hernias.
3. Lumbago. This is a condition in which a person has an acute attack of lower back pain. He appears after improper lifting weights, heavy physical labor. The basis of lumbago is the destruction of the vertebrae.
4. Sciatica. Irritation of the sciatic nerve is always accompanied by acute pain. Any movement causes increased discomfort. With sciatica, patients complain of pain in the lower back, extending to the leg.
5. Spondylosis. The disease is characterized by deformation of the vertebrae. The process of proliferation of bone tissue begins. Spiky osteophytes (pathological bone growths) cause severe discomfort and can lead to spinal deformity.
6. Ankylosing spondylitis. Pathology begins with an inflammatory process that occurs in the intervertebral joints. This leads to fusion of the vertebrae (ankylosis). As a result, the mobility of the segments is completely lost. The disease most often affects men.
Ankylosing spondylitis often affects men
7. Osteomyelitis. Severe pathology that develops against the background of damage to bone tissue by bacteria (streptococci, staphylococci, etc.). The disease can develop at any age. If infectious agents affect the bone tissue of the lower part of the spine, then the pain in the lower back is of concern. Discomfort is accompanied by fever, excessive weakness, sweating, swelling and hyperemia of the affected area.
8. Osteoporosis. A decrease in bone density is more common in women in the postmenopausal period. This pathology causes a disturbed metabolism, in which there is a deficiency in the body of calcium and phosphorus.
9. Rheumatoid arthritis. This is an autoimmune disease, which is based on the inflammatory process. Arthritis affects cartilage, ligaments and muscle tissue. Most often, pain occurs not only in the lower back, but also in other joints.
10. Myositis. Inflammation in muscle tissue. Most often, it is caused by hypothermia or a sharp, unsuccessful movement.
OA diseases require adequate treatment. Therefore, without the help of a doctor you can not do here. But before you go to a specialist, you need to eliminate the discomfort. Therefore, you need to remember how to relieve lower back pain. Analgesics or NSAIDs allow relief of discomfort.